Monday, March 19, 2007

Mark your calendars

Well, we have a date: Sunday, February 17, 2008. Almost exactly eleven months from now. I'm excited and nervous!

The 17th is the Sunday of Presidents Day weekend. It will be one year and one day after we got engaged. It will be appallingly close to Valentine's Day, to my sweetie's chagrin. It is also a holiday weekend, which is both convenient for those folks who want to come but don't want to take a day off work, but also inconvenient for those people with kids (of whom we know a great many) who take a vacation that week because their kids are off from school. To them, I apologize: I hope you will still come to our wedding!

Here are some more pictures of our venue, Battery Gardens Restaurant:


Where the ceremony will be (and we will have a sunset)


The back of the reception room, where the DJ and dance floor will be set up. And you can just see the wood-burning fireplace, very cozy for a winter wedding!

Battery Gardens is in Battery Park, at the very southern tip of Manhattan. It's between the Staten Island Ferry terminal and the terminal for the ferry to the Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island. My sweetie thought the view of Ellis Island would be nice for his 90-year-old grandmother, because his grandfather came through Ellis Island. I find this rather amazing: as a Chinese-American whose parents came to the US via the West Coast, I think of Ellis Island as something from the 19th century. When I was a grad student teaching freshman comp at UCLA, I once asked my class if any of their families had come via Ellis Island, and only one student in a class of 25 raised his hand. I won't wax philosophical about America's melting pot (or "salad bowl"), but I always find it interesting how different my sweetie's and my backgrounds are. I guess we will see how it works out--but so far it's pretty good.

No comments: